GDACSMobile: Mobile Crisis Situation Assessment: Development of new Tool in Cooperation with JRC and the United Nations OCHA and UNICEF (04/2014 – 09/2014) – Project Seminar. Co-Tutor.
- The project seminar “Mobile Crisis Situation Assessment”(MoCSA) at the Chair for Information Systems and Supply Chain Management has completed the development of the next version of the GDACSmobile prototype, in cooperation with the Joint Research Centre of the European Commission (JRC) and stakeholders from the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). GDACSmobile is a client-server application for crisis situation assessment that enables the disaster-affected public and professional aid workers to gather, analyze and disseminate information via mobile devices and a web client. The new prototype features several extensions and improvements, such as more powerful mechanisms for content moderation and systems integration. The application is part of the social media strategy and exploratory work of the Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System (GDACS) to develop better information management and sharing tools in the immediate aftermath of humanitarian catastrophes. Official Page: https://www.wi.uni-muenster.de/research/projects/9814
DRR: Early Warning System for Floods in Maharajganj District of Uttar Pradesh (2010-2011)
- Planning a community based Early Warning System for Floods in Eastern Uttar Pradesh under the 3 year “Women empowerment and Disaster Risk Reduction” Program funded by Oxfam India. Program implemented by Grameen Development Services covering ~140 villages.
Download project brief presentation in [PDF].
Update:(Oct 07, 2010) Information Broadcast to Villagers by Voice using Mobile Networks operational and in use.
Update:(Dec 30, 2010) Technology & Framework accepted and approved by the community volunteers of the area. Training conducted for team & skilled cadres from the community to operate the system & follow protocols of information exchange.
Update:(Jan 08, 2011) Training conducted for selected Women members from the community in Maharajganj area about system, information flow protocol & their role.
Update: Project operational. Now working on replicating it in Sitamarhi, Bihar area covering 40 villages and around 2500 families.
- This ICT implementation project has been nominated in the following:
1) mBillionth Award South Asia 2011 under the Category: m-Education & Learning
2) PCQuest Best IT Implementation Awards 2011 – Coverage on PCQ Site
Assessment of the consequences of extreme climate variability on men and women farmers in ensuring food security and sustaining livelihoods – IRRI Commissioned – Research Study – (May 2011-July 2011)
- Part of the team. Role: Social Scientist – Quality Control, Analysis.
- International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Manila, Phillipines commission a team of 10 Social Scientists from Grameen Development Services, India.
- Assessment in the flood prone region of North Bihar.
- The overall goal of this subproject is to address gender issues and identify interventions (technological, training, extension) which can help empower women engaged in rice farming.
Grameen Aloe Producer Company Ltd. – First completely women owned primary producer company of Rajasthan (2010-2011)
- Helping to monitor company operations through ICTs and online outreach.
- TEDxShekhavati Talk by the Board Members
PowerCuts.IN: Crowd-sourcing Power Cut Data in India [2011-2014]
- The project aims to crowdsource, primarily from twitter and other mediums like Mobile Web, SMS, Smartphone Apps, information about the Power Cuts happening in India.
- The primary aim of the website is to collect data from people and make it accessible in various formats and provide it back for public use.
- The project was a Winner – Selected as First Winner under the Category m-News & Journalism at mBillionth Award South Asia 2012.
Sahana Software Foundation – Volunteer – Sahana Open Source Disaster Management System (2008 – 2010)
- worked as a Student developer for SahanaPy (now Sahana Eden) as a part of the Google Summer of Code 2009 developing the Logistics Management System.
- worked as a Student developer for Sahana (now Sahana Agasti) as a part of the Google Summer of Code 2008 adding SMS/Messaging Module related functionality.
- worked on community building & outreach activities for Sahana in India. Representing Sahana at talks/events in India.
- volunteered in helping IBM India with Sahana deployment in India during Bihar floods 2008.
- helped deploy and translate Sahana to local languages in India as their Indic Localisation Lead